Mom's Stuffed Bell Peppers
4 large bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
1 box Kraft macaroni and cheese
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 small can chopped green chilies
1½ cups Velveeta cheese, cut into small pieces, divided
1 can (14.5 oz) whole tomatoes, chopped (with juice)
1 cup croutons
½ cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
1. Steam peppers over boiling water for 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside upside-down to drain and soften.
2. Prepare macaroni and cheese according to package instructions.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Heat oil in large skillet; add onion and celery, and sauté a few minutes. Add seasonings, chopped
green chilies, and ground beef to skillet; cook until pink is gone from meat. Add prepared macaroni and
cheese, and 1 cup of Velveeta cheese pieces to skillet; blend well. Add chopped tomatoes to skillet with
just enough juice to moisten mixture well. Stir croutons into mixture.
5. Stuff bell peppers and place into an 8 x 8 casserole. with Italian breadcrumbs and remaining ½ cup of
Velveeta cheese. Pour remaining juice from tomatoes (if any) around inside edges of bell peppers. Bake
uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are golden brown.