- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- Red and yellow bell peppers have a very different flavor than green bell peppers. The red ones especially are much sweeter. Any bell pepper can be used for this recipe; use the type you like the best.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked white rice (starting from about 3/4 to 1 cup raw white rice)
- 4 to 6 bell peppers (red, yellow, or green), use 4 large, or 6 medium sized
- 1 to 1 1/4 lb of ground beef (ground chuck, 16% fat)
- 6 large fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry summer savory
- 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram (or 2 teaspoons of fresh chopped)
- (Can substitute herbs with other herbs such as an Italian herb mix)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 If you haven't already made the rice, start cooking the rice following the package instructions (usually 1 cup of raw white rice plus 1 1/2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes.)
- 2 Cut the tops off of the bell peppers. Remove and discard (compost) the stem and seeds. Place bell peppers cut side up on a steaming rack over an inch of water in a large covered pot. Bring to boil, let steam for 10 minutes.
- 3 Heat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl mix together the ground beef, basil, summer savory, marjoram, salt, several turns of black pepper, and rice.
- 4 Remove bell peppers from steamer pan. Place cut side up in a pyrex or other oven-proof casserole. Gently stuff the peppers with the ground beef rice mixture. Drizzle olive oil over the stuffed peppers, along the outside of the peppers, and into the pan. Rub the oil over the outside of the peppers; it will help with browning. Sprinkle the tops generously with paprika.
- 5 Place on middle rack and cook for 25-30 minutes, until meat is cooked through.
- Serves 4 to 6. Serve with ketchup.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More