- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryI have fond memories on Thanksgiving Day of watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as my mother would prepare the holiday meal. Every year like clockwork the menu always included her homemade Apple Salad. I have continued the tradition to this day.
Submitted by: "Kenneth Brown 2"
- Apple Salad:
- 1 cup seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup nuts (recipe calls for walnuts but my twist is pecans)
- Pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg (your preference, I choose nutmeg)
- 1 cup celery
- Half dozen or so Apples (preference of Honey Crisp or Fuji)
- Dressing for the Apple Salad:
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (I substitute miracle whip being the good southern boy I am)
- 2 tablespoons of sugar (or splenda if you are watching your girlish figure)
- Cut grapes into quarter pieces (this is the hardest part, I know)
- Chop the nuts in one of those ole fashion push down choppers (or a food processer for the modern folks)
- Chop up the celery to your liking (should meld well when mixed together with the other ingredients)
- Chop up the apples to your liking (same as the celery and an apple corer works wonders here)
- Mix the dressing ingredients together with all the chopped apples, celery, and nuts.
- Let it set for about a half hour to marinate in the fridge and enjoy with the turkey and other fixings. It will last about 2-3 days and is a nice twist on turkey sandwiches but beyond the 3 days it is just way too watery.
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can Enjoy
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Anisette sponge cookiesSee More