- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryI love Mac n' Cheese. This is one of my signature dishes. My daughter's friends just call it Mommy's Mac n' Cheese and they even started a fan club in honor of my cooking on FaceBook. The highest form of culinary flattery.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 eggs scrambled + up to 4 extra egg whites if you have them
- 1 can cheddar soup (you can use cream of mushroom or chicken too)
- 4 - 6 oz sour cream – low fat if you prefer – do not use nonfat
- 4 oz. melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons of white pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons salt (optional to taste)
- 1.5 – 2 lbs cubed, sliced or grated cheese (mixture of cheddar, jack, curds
- 6 slices of Jalapeño/pepper jack (optional)
- Panko or regular bread crumbs plain or seasoned
- ½ cup approx. Parmesan or other dry grated cheese (Romano, asiago etc)
- Cook macaroni according to directions and use oil and salt.
- While pasta is cooking, in a small bowl scramble eggs, mix in sour cream and cheddar soup, pepper and salt.
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain and rinse pasta for 10 – 15 seconds with cold tap water to stop pasta from cooking further.
- Return pasta to empty pan, pour melted butter over pasta and toss.
- Add egg mixture to pasta and mix thoroughly. Add all cheese except pepper jack and Parmesan.
- Pour into 9 x 13 greased casserole.
- Top with pepper jack, Parmesan, breadcrumbs last.
- Cover with foil and bake covered for 50 min. Finish baking uncovered for 40 min.
- Let stand 10 min. to set before serving.