- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 eggs scrambled + up to 4 extra egg whites if you have them
- 1 can cheddar soup (you can use cream of mushroom or chicken too)
- 4 - 6 oz sour cream – low fat if you prefer – do not use nonfat
- 4 oz. melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons of white pepper
- 1.5 teaspoons salt (optional to taste)
- 1.5 – 2 lbs cubed, sliced or grated cheese (mixture of cheddar, jack, curds
- 6 slices of Jalapeño/pepper jack (optional)
- Panko or regular bread crumbs plain or seasoned
- ½ cup approx. Parmesan or other dry grated cheese (Romano, asiago etc)
- Cook macaroni according to directions and use oil and salt.
- While pasta is cooking, in a small bowl scramble eggs, mix in sour cream and cheddar soup, pepper and salt.
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain and rinse pasta for 10 – 15 seconds with cold tap water to stop pasta from cooking further.
- Return pasta to empty pan, pour melted butter over pasta and toss.
- Add egg mixture to pasta and mix thoroughly. Add all cheese except pepper jack and Parmesan.
- Pour into 9 x 13 greased casserole.
- Top with pepper jack, Parmesan, breadcrumbs last.
- Cover with foil and bake covered for 50 min. Finish baking uncovered for 40 min.
- Let stand 10 min. to set before serving.
NotesI love Mac n' Cheese. This is one of my signature dishes. My daughter's friends just call it Mommy's Mac n' Cheese and they even started a fan club in honor of my cooking on FaceBook. The highest form of culinary flattery.