- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 30-35
BackstoryYears ago I was invited by a chinese friend to spend Dutch New Year at her family’s Chinese restaurant. They were celebrating big, about 35-40 guests arrived at 9 for a meal till about 12. And at 12 there was Chinese fireworks. The meal was what they called Mongolian hot pot and it was concluded with the noodlesoup, using the reserved stock from the fondue. But you can also reserve the stock and make the noodlesoup the other day. I can not recall exacty what kind of vegetables were used, but basically every vegetable will do exept for green peas. It is really fun to do with some friends, you can prepare everything in advance, which leaves you plenty of time at the table with your guests.
- 1,5 liter of chickenstock
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 Spanish red pepper
- small piece of ginger root
- 1 scallion in pieces
- 1 sprig of lemon grass or 1 tablespoon of lemon rind
- a dash of salted soy sauce
- 200 grams of fish and meat a person [beef, lamb and pork in thin slices, chicken and fish in pieces, small meatballs]
- 100 grams of vegetables a person [mushrooms, carrots, paksoi, cabbage, zucchini etc.]
- 1 Bring the stock to the boil
- 2 Add garlic, pepper, ginger, scallion and lemon grass and let it simmer for 30 minutes
- 3 Add if necessary a dash of soysauce to taste
- 3 Arrange the meat and vegetables by species on two big plates
- 3 Pour the stock through a strainer into a [Chinese] fondue pan
- 4 Put the pan on the burner
- 6 Make some small bowls with slices of cucumber, shredded ginger root or chopped scallions and put some extra soy sauce on the table
- 5 Put the meat and veggies in the fonduespoon in the stock, it will be done in a few minutes
- After having finished the meat and vegetables, keep the stock. Boil some Chinese noodles and stirfry some chopped scallions and 100 grams of shiitake mushrooms in a tablespoon of oil.
- Put the boiled noodles in a bowl, top with the stirfried mushrooms and pour the stock over it .