- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- For decorating: 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- White and dark chocolate melts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Fold in wet ingredients until well combined.
- Pour into a well greased pair of cake pans or a 9x13 inch glass baking dish (if you are not using a Big Top cupcake mold for the monster shaped cake). Bake 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. *If you are making a monster, you'll want to bake it longer and keep checking every ten minutes or so, the top took at least 40 minutes and the bottom almost an hour!
- Allow to cool for ten minutes before inverting out of the pan to cool completly on a wire rack.
- To create your monster: Draw your monster arms, horns, mouth and eye onto a sheet of paper.
- Top drawings with a sheet of wax paper.
- Melt candy melts according to the package instructions and pour into a squeeze bottle.
- Draw your monster parts according to the pattern you made and let them harden for at least an hour. Don't stick them in the fridge or they get all dewy!
- Beat powdered sugar into cream cheese.
- You may need to trim the top and bottom of your cupcake halves to make them flat. A serrated bread knife does this nicely. Smear a bit of frosting onto the top of the cupcake base and top with the em, top, duh.
- Frost with most of your icing, leaving a few tablespoons for just in case. Press the monster parts into your cake and secure with extra icing if needed. Press carrots into the icing to create fur. And done.
NotesA perfect first birthday cake for baby, since it is lower in sugar, contains whole grain, fruit and veggies, and still gives you the wow factor of a yummy birthday cake. If you want to bake a little monster cake, you'll need a Big Top silicone cupcake mold for the shaped cake. You can find it online or in Bed Bath and Beyond! Or get crafty and see what else you can come up with!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Fit With Good Food!
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Super Easy Chicken and Pepper Mexican Spiced Rice Stir Fry
How To Make Caramelized Onions
Salted Nut SquaresSee More