- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 13 ounces butter
- 8 ounces hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 13 1/2 ounces egg yolks
- 9 ounces egg whites
- 1 cup super fine sugar
- Parchment paper
- Pan coating (as needed)
- 2 ounces hot fudge
- 1 dollop fresh whipped cream
- 3 small white chocolate curls
- 1 large dark chocolate curl
- 1 small dark chocolate curl
- 3 to 4 oz hazelnuts, toasted and shaved
- Powdered sugar
- Small strawberries, sliced into quarters
- Coat 10-inch spring form pans and place a parchment circle on bottom.
- Melt chocolates and butter in bowl over low simmering water or in double boiler. Once melted, set aside to cool slightly.
- Toast hazelnuts in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool then rough chop in food processor. Mix into chocolate butter mixture.
- In a small mixer with whip attachment, whip yolks with 1 cup of sugar until very thick and pale (about 5 minutes). Fold into chocolate nut mixture, transfer to another bowl.
- In clean, small mixer with whip attachment, whip egg whites with remaining super fine sugar until stiff (but not dry) peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate/yolk mixture to lighten and until completely incorporated.
- Pour into 10-inch spring form. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake is well risen and wooden skewer comes out moist-crumb.
- Let stand 15 to 20 minutes and then loosen sides of spring form and remove to cool completely. Store at room temperature.
- Cut 10-inch cake into 10 servings. Place one slice in middle of dessert plate. Pour hot fudge over top of cake to form 2 pools on either side of cake. Place the dollop of whipped cream on top of the cake slice. Place sliced strawberries to one side.
- Then, place small white chocolate curl and large dark chocolate curl in the whipped cream and one small dark chocolate curl and 2 small white chocolate curls on strawberries. Dust entire cake slice with powdered sugar. Then, sprinkle with hazelnut dust.
- This dessert can also be made as smaller, separate cakes. This makes service and assembly easier and able to be done ahead of service.
NotesA southern U.S. variation of this Italian dessert is sometimes available at the Cafe Intermezzo in Atlanta, GA.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
The Naked Macaron
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Oatmeal-cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chicken with Roasted Lemon & Rosemary SauceSee More