- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
Cut meat into bite-size pieces. (Do not brown.) Place meat and all remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables in a 3-1/2 or 4 quart electric crockery cooker. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or until meat is fully cooked and tender. Stir in frozen vegetables and cook 30 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 12 oz Lean boneless beef round steak, all visible fat removed
- 2 can (14-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- 1 sm Onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup Pearl barley
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 tsp Minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 10-ounce frozen no-salt-added mixed vegetables
- Spray a Dutch oven with vegetable oil.
- Set aside.
- Cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add meat to hot Dutch oven and brown about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except frozen vegetables.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1 hour. Stir in frozen vegetables.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes more or until meat, barley, and vegetables are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Stir before serving.