- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 pound large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 2/3 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or sweetener
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4-1/2 cup of soymilk (optional)
- Drizzle oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes.
- Mix in carrots. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir cumin seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes; cool. Finely grind in spice mill.
- Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pan. Whisk in honey, lemon juice, and allspice. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle in soymilk; sprinkle generously with cumin.
NotesA wonderful CSA partner of ours shared this recipe with us. I veganized it when I made it and loved it too. If you don't have cumin seeds, just use ground cumin and forgo roasting it in a pan.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Holiday Dessert Cookbook
Koken met Oma
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More