- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
BackstoryA wonderful CSA partner of ours shared this recipe with us. I veganized it when I made it and loved it too. If you don't have cumin seeds, just use ground cumin and forgo roasting it in a pan.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 pound large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 2/3 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey or sweetener
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4-1/2 cup of soymilk (optional)
- Drizzle oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes.
- Mix in carrots. Add broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir cumin seeds in small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes; cool. Finely grind in spice mill.
- Remove soup from heat. Puree in batches in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pan. Whisk in honey, lemon juice, and allspice. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle in soymilk; sprinkle generously with cumin.