- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Put dates in a small bowl. Pour lemon and orange juice over dates and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain dates, reserving juice mixture. Combine dates with carrots in a mixing bowl. Stir garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika and salt into reserved juice mixture. Gradually drizzle olive oil into juice-spice mixture, whisking constantly. Pour dressing over carrots and dates and stir well to coat. Stir in mint and parsley. Allow to sit an hour at room temperature before serving.
NotesThe bright flavors of carrots matched with warm spices like cinnamon, cumin, coriander and paprika make a wonderful salad for any time of year. It's a perfect make-ahead dish to take to dinner parties, as the flavors are best if left to blend for an hour before serving.
Per serving (About 6oz/171g-wt.): 190 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 2g protein, 31g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 21g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More