- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe bright flavors of carrots matched with warm spices like cinnamon, cumin, coriander and paprika make a wonderful salad for any time of year. It's a perfect make-ahead dish to take to dinner parties, as the flavors are best if left to blend for an hour before serving.
Per serving (About 6oz/171g-wt.): 190 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 2g protein, 31g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 21g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Put dates in a small bowl. Pour lemon and orange juice over dates and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Drain dates, reserving juice mixture. Combine dates with carrots in a mixing bowl. Stir garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika and salt into reserved juice mixture. Gradually drizzle olive oil into juice-spice mixture, whisking constantly. Pour dressing over carrots and dates and stir well to coat. Stir in mint and parsley. Allow to sit an hour at room temperature before serving.