- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups fresh fava beans (also called broad beans)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup chopped prunes
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- In 2-quart saucepan, briefly saute onions and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the ginger, allspice, and turmeric; cook one minute.
- Add the orange juice and chopped prunes; bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 25 minutes until beans are tender and the liquid thickens.
- To serve, sprinkle with the chopped cashews. The crunch is absolutely necessary. Enjoy!
NotesWhen Fava beans are in season, this dish is a taste sensation, and it's really not difficult to make. They are high in fiber and iron, low in fat, and they're loaded with protein; they've been called the meat of the poor.
Italians credit the fava bean with saving Sicilians from starvation during a time of famine. Since then, the fava has been considered good luck.
I love the exotic taste, and yet kids love it too. (If not, more for you.)