- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup diced acorn or butternut squash
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans (chick-peas), drained
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- Saute onions and garlic in oil in 4 quart saucepan, stirring frequently, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except garbanzo beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until squash is tender and rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. (add addtional broth if needed) Stir in garbanzo beansand serve.
NotesTurmeric gives the squash sensational yellow color. This is a dramatic dish of many textures: grains of rice and smooth squash, tender beans and chewy raisins.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
A Falcon Feast
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
culinary karmaSee More
Easy Graham Cracker Ginger Bread House
Pecan Almond MuffinsSee More