- Cooking Time: 1 minute (toast)
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne or chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- optional: 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1. blend all ingredients
- 2. store in an tight jar in a dark place.
- Before use
- Toast dry ingredients over medium heat for one minute or until it becomes highly aromatic. Lightly sprinkle and rub onto lamb or goat meat. Place in a resealable bag and let stand in the refrigerator from 2 hours to overnight (the longer the better).
NotesIn the late 1980s, I meet a beautiful man from Tabuk, Saudi Arabia who introduced me to North African cuisine, primarily goat meat. Ras el Hanout is the stuff of legend, with blends claiming to be made of up to 40 - 100 different spices. "Authentic versions of ras el hanout can include both common and fairly unusual ingredients as dried rosebuds, dried lavender, fennel flowers, European ash berries, Japanese white ginger, orrisroot, mace blades, caraway, fenugreek, galangal, nigella seeds, chufa nuts, belladonna berries, cantharides (the green beetle called “Spanish fly,” which is now banned in Morocco), and a variety of pungent peppers such as monk’s pepper (chaste berries), cubeb pepper, long-pepper, and grains of paradise (malegueta pepper)." However, no single ingredient should stand out more than any other; it is not heavy handed.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More