Moroccan–style australian lamb kabobs with red pepper puree
1 ½ pounds Australian Lamb leg, boneless, diced
1 lemon, cut in quarters lengthways then sliced
olive oil, for cooking
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon coriander seeds
¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
RED PEPPER PUREE
2 red peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 ½ pounds Australian Lamb leg, boneless, diced
• 3 shallots
• 1 lemon, cut in quarters lengthways then sliced
• olive oil, for cooking
• metal skewers
• ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
• ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
• ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
• ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon lemon zest
RED PEPPER PUREE
• 2 red peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil salt and pepper, to taste
• Pita bread, lettuce
1. Simmer shallots in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, cool, then cut bulbs into quarters or thick slices. Set aside.
2. To prepare the spice rub, dry toast cumin and coriander seeds in a non-stick pan until aromatic. Transfer to mortar and pestle or coffee grinder and crush. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Massage over lamb pieces. Cover and allow flavors to infuse for 30 minutes.
3. To prepare the red pepper puree, place the peppers, skin side up, on an oven tray and roast or broil until skin starts to blister and blacken. Place in a bag until cool enough to handle. Remove skins and chop roughly. Place in blender with vinegar and oil, process to a smooth paste. Season to taste and set aside.
4. Thread the lamb, lemon and shallot slices alternatively onto skewers (if using bamboo, presoak for 20 minutes or cover exposed ends with foil). Grill or barbecue until browned and cooked to medium rare, about 3-4 minutes each side, brushing occasionally with oil.
Serve kabobs and puree with pita bread and lettuce.