- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 75
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 whole free-range chicken (3 pounds), split (Prepare chicken by splitting it down the back and removing the backbone, breast bone and rib cage.)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Toast cumin, coriander and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over low heat until fragrant. In a clean spice grinder or coffee grinder, blend spices until fine. Add the toasted spices to a bowl with paprika and cayenne. Season with kosher salt. Stir in the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Lay the chicken out flat and rub the blended spices all over. Marinate for up to 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or other heavy oven-proof pan) over medium-high heat. When hot, add a 2 count of extra-virgin olive oil and place the chicken skin side down in the pan. Cover it with a second cast iron pan (you could also use a more traditional foil-wrapped brick) immediately so the skin doesn't have time to contract. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until chicken is golden brown and has a nice crust. Finish cooking in the oven for a further 20 to 25 minutes. Internal temperature between the leg and thigh should register 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, when cooked through. Serve with Mint Yogurt Dressing and Apricot Couscous.
Notesuh... food network. Tyler's Ultimate Chicken. Freaking awesome.
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More