- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk, warmed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain. Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium low heat.
- Stir in flour and cook 1 minute. Use a whisk and add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce
- thickens. Add salt and pepper. Beat eggs slightly and add small amount of sauce to eggs and then add remaining egg mixture to sauce. Set aside 1/3 cup grated cheese for top. Add one third macaroni to a buttered 2 quart casserole, alternating layers of macaroni and cheese. Pour sauce all over and add reserved cheese. Bake 25 to 30 minutes and serve.