- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10-12
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup regular cocoa (not dutched cocoa)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk **
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- **If you do not have buttermilk, fear not! You can still make this cake if you sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together sugars, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla;
- beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- Frost as desired.
NotesThis cake is the cake everyone asks for, whether it's for a birthday, an anniversary, valentines, or just a Monday! Coffee brings out the richness of the chocolate, and makes for an ultra-moist cake!
In the attached photo, we had a Wizard of Oz themed birthday for my daughter when she was 8: this is the birthday cake I made for her.