- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3/4 lb stripped orange or grapefruit peels (about two 2-cup measures filled to brim)
- 3/4 lb sugar (1-1/2 C)
- 3/4 C water
- Semisweet chocolate (optional)
- Cover peels with cold water and bring to boil.
- Repeat 4 times more—5 times in all.
- Mix sugar and water.
- Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add peels.
- Let cook over low fire until almost all the syrup is gone, turning contents every once in a while.
- Drain and cool.
- Then roll in granulated sugar.
- Put on waxed paper to dry thoroughly before storing.
- Directions: Chocolate Dipping
- I use semisweet chocolate; it takes quite a bit.
- Follow directions for regular chocolate dipping in any cookbook, being careful to keep water in bottom of double boiler below boiling point.
NotesPhoto of Zelma Levin, age 14.
You can either peel the fruit, keeping peel in quarters, or cut them in half to eat as usual, then remove whatever may remain in the skins, and cut the peel into strips.
If the white pulp seems heavy, some of it can be removed, but not too much, as it is what absorbs the sugar.
I prepare the peels as I get them and keep them in the freezer until I have enough for a batch.
Draining the peels: I find putting them on paper towels helps to get rid of some of the excess moisture.
Plain: Kosher (pareve) and vegan; chocolate-dipped: Kosher (dairy) and lacto-vegetarian.