- Cooking Time: 2 to 2-1/2 hours
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs fish
- 2 onions (medium size)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 grated carrot (medium size)
- 2 eggs
- 2 T bread or matzo crumbs
- Pepper and salt to taste
- Speck cinnamon
- 1 T oil
- 1 C water
- Directions: Mixture
- Grind fish and onions.
- On fine grater, grate garlic and carrots.
- Put all ingredients except water in wooden chopping bowl.
- Mix well with hands.
- Chop in water gradually.
- Fish should be fairly loose.
- Shape in pats.
- Directions: Cooking
- Put in a large pot bones from fish, water, couple onions, carrots.
- Bring to a boil.
- When water is boiling, put pats of fish in slowly, so it continues to boil.
- Simmer covered, 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- Last 1/2 hour to 1 hour, uncover to allow thickening.
NotesPhotograph of Zelma at age 14.
To allow thickening, can also cook longer after the fish is out, or add a little plain gelatin.
Kosher (pareve), unless you use gelatin.
Kosher for Passover if you use matzo crumbs instead of bread.