- Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C Kashe (brown buckwheat groats, medium or whole)
- 1 egg
- 2 C boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T fat
- Put kashe into egg and mix until all kernels are coated.
- Turn into preheated large frying pan over medium heat.
- With fork keep moving around and pressing down until the kernels are all dry and separated.
- Have the water and salt boiling in another pot.
- Pour kashe into salted boiling water.
- Cook over very small flame, about 30 minutes, very tightly covered.
- Look and see, it may need another half cup or so of water as it is steaming.
- Just before serving add the 2 T or so of fat, or butter would do.
- Serve with meat gravy or whatever.
NotesPhotograph of Zelma Levin, age 14.
Some people like to serve it in place of rice or noodles in soup.
May be kosher and/or vegetarian, depending on what type of fat you use.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Rich Chocolate Pecan Pie
Cheesy Stuffed Baked Ziti
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLESee More