- Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1 C Kashe (brown buckwheat groats, medium or whole)
- 1 egg
- 2 C boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 T fat
- Put kashe into egg and mix until all kernels are coated.
- Turn into preheated large frying pan over medium heat.
- With fork keep moving around and pressing down until the kernels are all dry and separated.
- Have the water and salt boiling in another pot.
- Pour kashe into salted boiling water.
- Cook over very small flame, about 30 minutes, very tightly covered.
- Look and see, it may need another half cup or so of water as it is steaming.
- Just before serving add the 2 T or so of fat, or butter would do.
- Serve with meat gravy or whatever.
NotesPhotograph of Zelma Levin, age 14.
Some people like to serve it in place of rice or noodles in soup.
May be kosher and/or vegetarian, depending on what type of fat you use.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Lunch
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid Foods
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More