- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Preparation Time:
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 1 large (or 2 small) onions, cut fine
- 1/4 C fat
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 to 3 T flour, depending on whether potatoes are watery
- Fry half of the onion in the fat until golden brown.
- Grate potatoes and rest of onion on squared-off grater.
- Mix eggs well.
- Then add flour, salt, and baking powder, together.
- Then add fried onion and fat.
- Bake in greased baking pan at 350 degrees until brown and crisp at sides, usually about 1 hour.
NotesAs potatoes are shredded, add to egg mixture so they won’t turn green.
Can bake in well-greased muffin tins—takes a little less time.
May be vegetarian and/or kosher, depending what type of fat you use.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry 2013See More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More