- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMany thanks to Paulette Kaleikau, who baked and photographed on the 4th of July weekend. Paulette’s comments: “Your mother’s shortbread with a little 4th of July zing. Reminded me of Chinese sponge cake. Thumbs up from both Craig & I.”
- 2 eggs
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 C hot milk
- Beat eggs until light and thick.
- Slowly add sugar and beat 2-1/2 minutes with mixer, or 5 minutes by hand.
- Fold sifted dry ingredients into egg and sugar mixture all at once.
- Melt butter in hot milk and add all at once.
- The folding in of the dry ingredients and milk should take only one minute.
- Pour batter into wax paper-lined 7" round cake pan.
- Bake in moderate oven (360 degrees) for 30 minutes.
- Cool and split.
- Fill and top with sweetened strawberries.