- Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- Cake Ingredients:
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 C shortening
- 1 C brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 to 3/4 C milk
- 3 tsp baking powder
- Nutmeg, mace, and cinnamon (1 tsp all together)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 C brown sugar
- 3/4 C chopped nuts
- Cake Directions:
- Sift flour.
- Measure flour and sift again with spices, salt and baking powder.
- Cream shortening and sugar thoroughly.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk.
- Add vanilla.
- Line 9" (or larger) round pan with oiled paper or butter.
- Pour in batter.
- Spread icing on top of batter.
- Sprinkle remaining nuts on top.
- Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 30-40 minutes.
- Icing Directions:
- Beat whites very stiff.
- Add sugar to egg whites gradually.
- Then add ½ cup of the nuts.
NotesPhoto of Zelma Levin, age 14.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More