- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryA Lebanese special occasion dish. A real treat.
This is one of my favorite Lebanese recipes. Its a very time-consuming dish to prepare, but the result is worth the work. Its a great dish for a family gathering.
Best way to eat:
Arrange Moghrabieh in an oblong serving dish. Arrange the chicken pieces on top. Surround with small whole onions.
Tip: Moghrabieh is like small pasta balls. Basically, they are cooked the same way you would prepare a Rissotto....by adding the stock a little at a time and cooking.
- Dried Moghrabieh, 1/2 bag (Buy from a Middle Eastern store)
- chicken, 1 whole, with skin, cut up,washed, (can use any combination parts)
- onions, 10 whole, small
- onion, 1 cup, finely chopped
- butter, 3/4 cup, separated
- cinnamon, 2 teaspoon
- black pepper, 1 teaspoon
- white pepper, 1 teaspoon
- salt, 1 teaspoon
- chic peas, 20 ounce can (drained)
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp caraway
- In a very large skillet brown the onions in the butter over medium heat.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet add the chopped onion and chicken pieces, saute until onion is tender and the chicken is golden.
- Add pepper, white pepper, cinnamon, cumin, caraway and salt, saute a few minutes more.
- Cover the chicken with water and simmer until done, chicken should fall easily off of the bone, using tongs remove chicken from the skillet. Carefully remove the chicken from the bone, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Add chic peas and whole onions to the broth in the skillet and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large sauce pan melt 1/4 cup of butter and fry Moghrabieh in the butter until it begins to take on color.
- Remove the whole onions from the chicken stock(reserve and keep warm).
- Pour the stock over the Moghrabieh a little at a time, cook on medium low heat until done, adding water as needed approximately every 30 minutes until well done.