- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 eggplants (1-1 1/4 lbs each)
- 3T olive oil
- 1c chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 3/4 t cumin
- 3/4 t cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 3/4 c canned tomatoes with juice, chopped (14.5 oz can)
- 1c chopped green bell peppers
- 1c chopped mushrooms
- 1t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1c bread crumbs
- 1 3/4 c ricotta cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1c grated parmesan chz
- 1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly oil baking tray.
- 2. Slice eggplants in half lengthwise. Score the flesh of each half with paring knife, being careful not to pierce skin. Use spoon to scoop out flesh and leave about 1/2" thick shell. Reserve flesh to use in filling.
- 3. Brush eggplant shells with 1T of oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place face up on prepared baking tray and bake for about 20 minutes, until very tender.
- 4. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in nonreactive saucepan. Saute onions until translucent, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic, cloves, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne and continue to saute for about 1 minute. Cut reserved eggplant flesh into small cubes and add them. Saute about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and mix in salt, black pepper, bread crumbs, and 3/4 c of ricotta cheese. Set filling aside.
- 5. When eggplant shells are done, remove from oven and reduce tem to 350. In mixing bowl, beat egg whites until they are stiff and fold them into the remaining c of ricotta cheese.
- 6. Fill each shell with 1 1/4c of vegetable filling. Evenly cover with ricotta custard and then grated cheese. Return baking tray of stuffed eggplant to oven and bake for ~ 30 min, until puffed and lightly golden on top.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More