- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c unsalted butter, softened but cool (65F)
- 1 c sugar
- 1/4 c water
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2+1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 3 oz fruit syrup (strawberry, raspberry, mango) or 2 tsp. flavoring (vanilla extract, almond extract)
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until smooth and creamy and put to a cool place. Have ready a heatproof glass measure near the range.
- In a small nonstick saucepan, heat 3/4 c sugar and 1/4 c water, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is bubbling. Stop stirring and reduce the heat to low.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar, and beat until soft peaks form when the beater is raised.
- Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 c sugar until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised slowly.
- Increase the heat and boil the syrup until a thermometer registers 248 to 250F.
- Immediately transfer the syrup to the glass measure to stop the cooking.
- Beat the syrup into the whites in a steady stream.
- At the end, use a scraper to remove the syrup clinging to the glass measure.
- Lower speed to medium and continue beating until the mixture is cool. (This took me several minutes.)
- Beat in the butter at medium speed 1 tablespoon at a time.
- If at any time, the mixture looks slightly curdled, increase the speed slightly and beat until smooth before continuing to add more butter.
- Lower the speed slightly and drizzle fruit syrup or flavorings.
- Store in airtight bowl.
- Rebeat from time to time to restore texture.
- This buttercream will keep for 2 days at room temperature, 10 days refrigerated and 8 months frozen.
- Allow to come to room temperature before rebeating or it will break down irretrievably
Notesadapted from The Cake Bible
This is my favorite frosting for cakes. I like to flavor mine with espresso powder dissolved in a tiny bit of water. It's delicious on a chocolate cake!
It takes practice to make this, but don't give up
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Rainbows Of Vegan LoveSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More