MR. HAM'S SWEET BROWN AND RED BARBECUE SAUCE
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/3 cups Blackstrap Molasses
- 1 1/3 cups loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure cane sugar
- 1/3 cup Red Raspberry vinegar
- 1 - 15 oz. can of Hunt's tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Cholula Chili Garlic hot sauce
- 10oz Hunt's tomato paste
- 1 cup honey
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 6 cups Heinz tomato ketchup
- 2 cups Annie's Naturals Organic ketchup (thicker than Heinz)
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 level teaspoon Pete's House Blend coffee grounds
- 1/4 cup Marinelli's Apple Juice
- 2 tablespoons Pomegranate Juice Concentrate
- 1/2 cup Chimay Ale (Peres Trappistes)
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Chipolte chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 LARGE cloves freshly pressed garlic
- 4 tablespoons drippings from wood smoked pork
- It's not absolutely essential that you use the same ketchups I do. I initially made a batch with Heinz and the overall sauce was a bit thin. I found that adding the thicker ketchup created the perfect texture. I think adding just the thicker ketchup would make the overall sauce too thick. So this is how I make it. If you have your own recipe for ketchup or want to substitute, fine. The overall thickness of the sauce should be such that if you put it in a spoon and pour it, it takes a moment for the sauce to pour off.)
NotesFor some reason, making barbecue sauce puts me in a zen space. I go sort of Forest Gump / Rainman and I have honed in on this sauce, which I believe to be close to perfect.
I recommend you do this and bottle it, because once you make this, it'll be so delicious that you'll want to use it on everything. I store the sauce in caraffs.
The sauce has a very complex flavor, starting out sweet, having a very nice tang, then with a gentle kick. Unreal on ribs.
I promise you, it will curl your toes.
I made this in a huge bowl in a big batch, so the portions are large... Reduce it proportionately if you want, but trust me that if you make this in a big batch, you'll be using it all the time.