- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons solid shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 5-6 cups white flour
- In small bowl, combine 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Let stand.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl combine molasses, boiling water, solid shortening, salt, and brown sugar.
- Stir until shortening melts, then let cool to lukewarm.
- Add all of the whole wheat and rye flours and beat well.
- Add enough white flour until the dough is mixed and very stiff.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled. Punch down dough, cover, and let rise again for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll or pat each piece to a 6x9" rectangle.
- Roll up, starting with 6" side.
- Pinch ends and edges to seal.
- Place into four greased 8x4" loaf pans and cover.
- Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake bread for 30-40 minutes until bread sounds hollow when tapped with fingers.
- Remove immediately from pans and place on wire racks.
- Brush with butter to coat.
- Let cool.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Get Fit With Good Food!
Cooking for a Cure
Jean’s Recipe FileSee More
Hard Rock Cafe Cole Slaw Clone
Mashed Sweet PotatoesSee More