- Cooking Time: 40-45 mins
- Servings: 9
- Preparation Time:
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350' F, grease and flour a 10" tube pan.
- For the topping; mix together the flour, brown sugar, salt and walnuts. Add in the butter and with your hands, rub into the ingredients until crumbly. Don't over do it...you don't want a paste. Set aside.
- For the cake: in a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well. With the mixer on low, add in half of the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Add in the sour cream, mix until just blended then add in the remaining dry ingredients and once again, mix until just blended, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Spread half of the batter into the pan. Sprinkle half of the topping on the batter. Carefully spread the rest of the batter over the topping and then top it all off with the remaining topping.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- (note: the lack of salt in the cake ingredients is not a mistake)
NotesJunior high school Home Ec. cooking class...I believe this was probably THE reason some of the kids took the class....just to make the coffee cake! Easy enough for kids to make (proven), moist and delicious.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Driscoll's Berry DessertsSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More