MUHAMMARA – ROASTED RED PEPPER AND WALNUT PASTE
Muhammara – Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Paste
- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 2 small bowls
- Preparation Time: 15 mins
- 2 large red peppers (capsicums) blistered with the skin removed
- 1 small hot red chili chopped with the placental skin removed
- ½ cup – 1 cup (about 1- 2 slices) of gluten free bread crumbled up
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 tsp yellow asafetida powder
- 1 Tbsp or 1 ½ Tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 3 Tbsp cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley to serve
Roast the peppers for about 15 minutes until skin is blistered and blackened. Place in a plastic bag and seal and allow to cool a little before skinning.
Combine all the other ingredients except the parsley in a food processor and blend until you get a thick creamy paste. Start with 1 slice of gluten free bread, and if that is not enough to get the desired consistency gradually add some more.
You might want to add in more lemon juice, molasses or olive oil to taste. But I think this blend is perfect.
Serve with sprinkled parsley and toasted ciabatta, pita bread, flat bread or vegetable sticks.
This dip gets better with age and tastes better the next day. It will keep for about 4 days in a sealed container in the fridge. YUM!
Website Credit: http://healthyblenderrecipes.com/recipes/muhammara_-_roast_pepper_and_walnut_paste/