- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/4 Cups Multigrain (such as 7 or 10 grain) hot cereal
- 2-1/2 Cups Boiling Water
- 2-1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2-1/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 Tbls Honey
- 1/4 Cup Vegtable Oil
- 2-1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Tbls Salt
- 1/2 Cup Rolled or Quick Oats
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Place the cereal in the bowl of a standing mixer.
- Add boiling water and stir.
- Let stand until the mixture cools to about 100 degrees and resembles a thick porridge, about 1 hour.
- Whisk together the flours in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Once the grain mixture has cooled, add the honey, vegtable oil and yeast and stir to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flours 1/2 cup at a time, kneading until the dough forms a ball, about 2 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let dough stand 20 minutes.
- Add the salt and knead on medium low speed until the dough clears the sides of the bowl, about 3-4 minutes.
- Continue to knead another 5 minutes.
- Add the oats and knead another 2 minutes, or until well incorporated.
- Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Remove the dough from the mixer and form into a ball.
- Place the ball into the oiled bowl, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow the dough to double, about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Adjust an oven wrack to middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray two 9x5" loaf pans with cooking spray. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and pat into a 9x12" rectangle.
- Cut the dough in 1/2 crosswise.
- Roll each piece into a tight log.
- Transfer each to a loaf pan, cover lightly with plastic wrap or towel and let rise until almost double in size, 30 - 40 minutes.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the loaves from the pans and cool on a wire rack before slicing.
- Number Of Servings: Makes 2 loaves
- Preparation Time: Start to finish 3-1/2 hours, 30 minutes active
NotesThis was in our daily newspaper a year ago. A bread that is better for you :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
MidLife Road Trip'sSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
The Best Baked Potato SoupSee More