- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium size onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tart apples, cored and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced in 1/2 slices
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (14 ounces) low sodium chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plain-low fat yoghurt
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, apples, celery and green peppers, and cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Blend in the curry powder and flour and cook,stirring, 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, cloves, mace and nutmeg. Raise the heat to moderately high, cover and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so that the mixture bubbles gently, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Cool the soup for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a blender or food processor, whirl the soup in 3 badges for 20 seconds each. Return to saucepan, add the chicken and rice, and cook stirring, over moderate heat for 3 minutes or until the soup is heated through. Laddle soup into individual bowls, top each with 1 tablespoon of the yoghurt.
NotesThis soup with a bit of Indian influence is very tasty. Excellent for a light lunch.