- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryA classic family recipe - this was my favourite dessert growing up. My mum got this recipe while visiting my Dad who was doing a compulsory year of teaching in the outback of Australia, and his billet home hostess made this for him. He loved it, so the hostess gave Mum the recipe. It then became my favourite and we'd have it on my birthday.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 oz butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs (yolks and whites, separated)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pastry case
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Melt butter, add brown sugar and flour.
- Add milk, cook to thicken.
- Leave to cool.
- Add beaten egg yolk and vanilla, beat well.
- Pour into pastry case (pre-cooked or store bought).
- Beat egg whites until stiff, add caster sugar gradually.
- Spoon onto caramel.
- Cook 20 minutes in a moderate oven.