- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 3 cups
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryIn making this salsa....I was...timid. Not sure what to expect and how it would fill the roll that red tomato salsa has. Well...it doesn't. But that's not a bad thing. It has it's own roll. It's own flavors and it's own character. Once made...it's best after it has sat for a couple of hours and served at room temperature. It's even better the next day. I mean way better.
This salsa not only has the traditional salsa experiences; jalapeno heat, crunchy onion, soothing cilantro and limey tang....but add to that the meaty texture and earthy flavor of mushrooms. It's a whoooole new level for salsa.
- 1 lb fresh white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and finely chopped
- Handful of cilantro, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 TB olive oil
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, combine the mushrooms, red onion, jalapenos and cilantro. Add the lime juice and olive oil and gently toss. Salt to taste.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours or...if you have time and you've thought in advance, stick it in the fridge over night. Serve at room temperature.