- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 1 tablespoon bouillon base (beef-flavored, vegetarian)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup pearl barley
- In a heavy bottomed pot heat olive oil and butter (2 tablespoons of your favorite lipid will do) over medium high heat. Add shallot and mushrooms and sauté till they give off their liquid. Reduce liquid by half and add garlic, bay leaf and thyme. Cook till fragrant, approx 1 minute.
- Add broth, bouillon base and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add barley, reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, approximately 40 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Babette's Test Kitchen
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Nick's PicksSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More