- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium-size loaf Italian bread, cubed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for buttering baking dish
- 2 small sweet onions, chopped
- 4 pounds button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Italian Seasoning, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1/4 cup dry Marsala
- Smoked Sweet Paprika, to taste
- Truffle salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more to top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread cubed bread on a sheet pan. Toast it in the oven until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes (check and stir every 5 min).
- In a large saute pan melt the butter and saute the onions until translucent. Add the mushrooms, Italian seasoning and Worcestershire and saute until browned and all liquid has evaporated, about 10-15 minutes. Add Marsala and continue to saute until just evaporated. Remove from heat, season with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and additional Italian seasoning if needed. (This is a lot of mushrooms -- you may need to saute them in two batches. Don't crowd the mushrooms!)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Season cream to taste with truffle salt, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper. Add to eggs, and whisk to combine. Mix in the bread cubes along with the mushroom mixture and grated Parmesan.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9 by 13-inch baking dish, top with more grated Parmesan, to taste.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the custard is set. A knife inserted in the middle of the mixture should come out clean.
- Alternately, to cook in slow cooker, cook mixture on low for 4 to 4.5 hours, checking occasionally.
NotesI originally had mushroom bread pudding when I worked at the Chopping Block. I've made a few different variations over the years, but this is the latest version. It's a nice alternative to stuffing during the holidays.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Jean’s Recipe File
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More