- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
These quesadillas have a deep, earthy, winelike flavor and elegant aftertaste. The sweet caramelized onion and woodsy portobello mushroom blend perfectly with the mild goat cheese. Make sure you wipe the large mushroom caps clean with a damp towel before marinating. These are wonderful for company or for a special dinner party. Serve with a field green salad and a glass of pinot noir or merlot wine for a complete epicurean experience.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic -- minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps -- stems removed
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces mild goat cheese
- 16 8-inch whole grain tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups Onion Chutney -- (see separate recipe)
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Pace the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well, and add the portobello mushroom caps. Marinate for 20 to 30 minutes, turning the portobellos once or twice. Preheat the oven to 350°F. While the mushrooms are marinating, blend the cream cheese and goat cheese in a medium bowl with a fork or by hand.
- Grill the mushrooms until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes per side. You may also broil the mushrooms in the oven about 3 inches from the broiler element, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Cut the mushroom caps into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place 1 flour tortilla on the work surface. Top with about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture, spread to within 1/2 inch of the edge of the tortilla. Top with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the Onion Chutney, spreading it evenly. Top with 3 to 4 slices of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the mozzarella cheese. Top with a tortilla. Repeat until all the cheese filling, chutney, mushrooms, mozzarella, and tortillas are used.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray it with vegetable oil. Place the filled tortillas on the sheet pan; don't allow the sides to touch. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese has just melted. Remove the quesadillas with a wide spatula, cut into wedges, like pizza, and serve immediately.
- PER SERVING: CALORIES 540; CALORIES FROM FAT 200; CALORIES FROM SATURATED FAT 90; PROTEIN 22 G; CARBOHYDRATE 62 G; TOTAL FAT 22 G; SATURATED FAT 10 G; CHOLESTEROL 35 MG; SODIUM 770 MG: 37% CALORIES FROM FAT