- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time:
- 2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 ounces pancetta, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (1 1/2 lbs.), peeled and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 to 8 tbsp. sour cream
- In a small bowl, pour 1 cup boiling water over dried porcini. Set aside.
- Cut off stems of button mushrooms. Finely chop stems; set aside. Halve caps, slice, and add to stems. With a slotted spoon, lift out porcini, pressing excess liquid into bowl, and transfer to a cutting board. Finely chop porcini and add to stems and caps. Reserve soaking liquid.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and add onion and salt. Cook, stirring, until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add pancetta and cook until onions look a bit creamy, about 2 minutes. Add paprika and cook until very fragrant, 2 minutes. Turn heat to high and add mushrooms. Cook, stirring constantly, until mushrooms start giving off their liquid, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add reserved porcini soaking liquid (pouring carefully to leave behind the sandy dregs), chicken broth, 2 cups water, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, with a dollop of crÃ¨me fraÃ®che.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
NotesThe smoked paprika in this is wonderful. I used one package of dried porcinis and then only added 1 1/2 cups of water to the soup (instead of 2). I also omitted the salt - it's plenty flavorful without it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
MidLife Road Trip's
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More