- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb. assorted mushrooms, chopped
- 2 sprigs (leaves) fresh thyme or probably about ½ tsp dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in stockpot or dutch oven. Add onions and cook until tender over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, and garlic. Continue cooking over medium-low until mushrooms brown (do not add salt) and most of the moisture they've released has evaporated, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add sherry. Switch heat to medium-high and cook until sherry is reduced by at least half, about 3 minutes.
- Add broths. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add half and half or cream and heat through over medium-low, about 5 minutes.
- If you like a chunky soup, serve as is. If you like it smooth, puree with an immersion blender or food processor. If you are like me and like something in between, put a couple ladlefuls of the soup into a processor and pulse process. Re-add back to the soup and let it thicken slightly.
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3See More
Italian Sausage and Mushroom Ravioli
Chicken Tacos with Green Chili Adobo
Fish Cakes (Thai) with Herd & Peanut SaladSee More