- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb. assorted mushrooms, chopped
- 2 sprigs (leaves) fresh thyme or probably about ½ tsp dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in stockpot or dutch oven. Add onions and cook until tender over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, and garlic. Continue cooking over medium-low until mushrooms brown (do not add salt) and most of the moisture they've released has evaporated, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add sherry. Switch heat to medium-high and cook until sherry is reduced by at least half, about 3 minutes.
- Add broths. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add half and half or cream and heat through over medium-low, about 5 minutes.
- If you like a chunky soup, serve as is. If you like it smooth, puree with an immersion blender or food processor. If you are like me and like something in between, put a couple ladlefuls of the soup into a processor and pulse process. Re-add back to the soup and let it thicken slightly.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More