- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, sliced (Note: I used Portobello and Baby Bella)
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock (Note: You may also use vegetable or beef stock)
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 3/4 cup non-fat yogurt (Note: You can use a combination of low or non-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage) and light sour cream, or use one exclusively)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley and a lttle extra for garnish
- 8 ounces Farfalle Pasta (Note: Feel free to use whatever pasta you prefer, or even brown or white rice)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add noodles, and cook according to your desired level of doneness.
- Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, and cook, stirring until softened.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, cooking until they are softened and lightly browned.
- Next add the stock, soy and Worcestershire sauces.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and cook until the mixture has reduced by 1/3.
- In a small bowl combine the sour cream and flour and parsley.
- Add this mixture to the pan and stir.
- Continue cooking over low heat, just until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the pasta into the sauce and cook until the dish is evenly heated through.
- Serve, seasoning with salt and pepper and garnish with additional parsley and a dollop of sour cream.
NotesTo lighten up my fatty food intake just a smidgen I decided to make a creamy meatless alternative to the traditional stroganoff by substituting substantial portobello and baby bella mushrooms for beef. I also reduced the fat of the dish by using a combination of low-fat sour cream and Fage Non-Fat Yogurt. While this isn't a perfect lighten upmeal, it sure beats the heck out of brittle, turnovers, and fettuccine.
Mushroom Stroganoff (Inspired by a recipe from AllRecipes.com)
View step by step images of this recipe at my food blog ErinCooks.com
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Breads and Pastry 101
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More