- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 stick butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- garlic salt to taste, \
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut in 1" chunks
- 1 pound loaf wonder bread, sliced
- Melt 1/4 stick of the butter in a medium skillet over low heat so as not to burn the butter. Add onions and saute a few minutes until they turn translucent. Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes, or until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates a bit. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Add cream cheese and melt until it resembles a spread. Set aside.
- Remove the ends of the bread, then the crust. Roll each slice of bread flat with a rolling pin. Spread the mushroom mixture almost to the edge of the bread. Spread generously, but not so much that the mixture gushes out the sides. Roll up like jelly rolls. Melt the last bit of butter in a little bowl in the microwave. With a pastry brush, brush the outside of the rolls with butter. Cut rolls into three or four pieces. Place on a cookie sheet, seam side down, and place under the broiler. Broil one side until lightly browned. Turn over and brown the other side. Be careful to monitor the rolls because they cook quickly under a broiler. Remove from the oven. Can be served immediately.
- NOTE: Can be prepared the night before and served the next day by first placing under the broiler. If extrememly cold, set out for 30 minutes or so before broiling.
NotesTaken from a local newspaper many years ago
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking DC 2013
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Delicious Recipes Made EasySee More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More