- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 slices prosciutto (about 1-1/2 ounces) or bacon
- 8 scallions or green onions, thinly sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 pound fresh shiitake* and/or button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
- In a large skillet, cook prosciutto or bacon until crisp; drain off drippings and crumble prosciutto or bacon. Set aside.
- Wipe pan clean. Cook scallions in same skillet in butter or margarine over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and pepper. Stir in cheese and the mushroom mixture. Pour into a greased 2-quart rectangular (12x7-1/2x2-inch) baking dish.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and a knife inserted off-center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm. Makes 6 servings.
- Note: Remove and discard the tough stems from the shiitake mushrooms before slicing them.
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 35 minutes
NotesThis dish shows off the versatility of eggs. It can be served as the main and only dish for breakfast and lunch. For dinner serve this rich, cheesy casserole with warm-from-the-oven cornbread or roasted red potatoes, and a green salad on the side.
Source: Midwest Living
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Mom's Spanish Rice
Simply Delicious Mac-n-Cheese Casserole
Holiday BellsSee More