- Cooking Time: 35
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 250 grams of grape or cherry tomatoes
- 15-20 black olives (quartered lengthwise)
- 1/2 cup of quinoa
- 4,5 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of dried marjoram or 1/2 cup fresh marjoram leaves
- 2 lb mussels
- 1 tablespoon os unsalted butter
- 1 Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat
- 2 Add the onion and cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently
- 3 Add tomatoes and olives and cook for about five minutes, stirring frequently
- 4 Add quinoa, stir and add 3,5 cups of the water, salt, pepper and marjoram
- 5 Reduce heat and cook at a simmer for about 20 mins, stir occasionally
- 6 After the quinoa has cooked, bring the remaining cup of water to the boil in a pan, add the mussels and steam until open, remove from the heat.
- 7 Stir the butter in the quinoa mixture, remove the mussels from their shells and add to the quinoa.
- 8 Add 1/4 cup of the mussel broth (optional)
NotesThis recipe I found on the internet. I used it for the Sept. 2010 challenge in the Bakespace forums. I don't eat quinoa very often, so the challenge was a great way of trying things out. Other peoples recipes are usually a great way of getting familiar with the tastes and textures of a new ingredient befor you start experimenting yourself.