- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 12 wide-mouth pint (2-cup) canning jars with lids and rings
- 1/2 yard print cotton fabric
- 1 round (6 yards) craft ribbon (for jars)
- for 12 jars:
- 12 cups yellow corn meal
- 12 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 16 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 Tbsp dry mustard
- 2 pieces cardstock (for tags)
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all dry ingredients.
- To package in jars: Wash, rinse and dry canning jars, lids and bands.
- Packaging note: pre-mix ingredients thoroughly before filling
- wide-mouth pint canning jars with 2 cups each of the finished mix. Mixing ingredients permits the finer flour granules to fill spaces between the cornmeal, and allows a single recipe to fit inside a pint jar. Layering ingredients for this recipe will require larger jars.
- Place two cups Texas cornbread mix in each wide-mouth pint canning jar.
- Cut twelve 7-inch circles from cotton fabric. Top each jar with fabric circle, and tie with ribbon.
- Makes 12 gift jars.
- Recipe Instructions (included on gift tag):
- 1 container (2 cups) Texas Cornbread Mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup soft shortening (Crisco)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease one 8-inch square pan, or 8-inch cast iron skillet, or cast iron cornbread mold.
- Place cornbread mix into bowl, mix thoroughly. Add egg, milk and shortening. Hand-beat until smooth, about one minute. DO NOT OVERBEAT!
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes for pan or skillet, 15 to 20 minutes for cornbread mold.
Recipes Worth Counter Surfing For - Vizsla Owners Best Loved Recipes
DIY Tasty Gift Ideas
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Red Snapper Livornese
Beer Cheese in a Bread BowlSee More