- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 12 wide-mouth pint (2-cup) canning jars with lids and rings
- 1/2 yard print cotton fabric
- 1 round (6 yards) craft ribbon (for jars)
- for 12 jars:
- 12 cups yellow corn meal
- 12 cups sifted flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 16 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 Tbsp dry mustard
- 2 pieces cardstock (for tags)
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix all dry ingredients.
- To package in jars: Wash, rinse and dry canning jars, lids and bands.
- Packaging note: pre-mix ingredients thoroughly before filling
- wide-mouth pint canning jars with 2 cups each of the finished mix. Mixing ingredients permits the finer flour granules to fill spaces between the cornmeal, and allows a single recipe to fit inside a pint jar. Layering ingredients for this recipe will require larger jars.
- Place two cups Texas cornbread mix in each wide-mouth pint canning jar.
- Cut twelve 7-inch circles from cotton fabric. Top each jar with fabric circle, and tie with ribbon.
- Makes 12 gift jars.
- Recipe Instructions (included on gift tag):
- 1 container (2 cups) Texas Cornbread Mix
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup soft shortening (Crisco)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease one 8-inch square pan, or 8-inch cast iron skillet, or cast iron cornbread mold.
- Place cornbread mix into bowl, mix thoroughly. Add egg, milk and shortening. Hand-beat until smooth, about one minute. DO NOT OVERBEAT!
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes for pan or skillet, 15 to 20 minutes for cornbread mold.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Holiday "Butt" Stuffing
Pumpkin Pie With Perfect Pie Crust
Nacho Cheese DipSee More