My Banana Teabread
8oz self raising flour
½ level teaspoon salt
6oz castor sugar
1oz chopped walnuts
4oz glace cherries
1lb bananas (easiest if very ripe on the verge of turning)-500g
Heat the oven to
350 F 180oC Gas No. 4
Grease one large 9x5x3 inch loaf tin and line with a strip of grease proof paper cut the width of the base and long enough to overlap opposite ends of the tin
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the butter cut in pieces and rub in with fingertips.
3. Add the sugar, walnuts and glace cherries which have been rinsed in warm water
to remove the sugary coating and cut into quarters
4. Stir to mix.
5. Peel the bananas and mash with a fork.
6. Add to the dry ingredients along with the eggs.
7. Using a wooden spoon beat everything to a soft consistency
8. Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and spread level.
9. Place in the centre of the oven and let bake for 1¼ hours or 1hour if the oven is fan assisted.
10. Let cool in the baking tin for 20 minutes, then loosen he sides with a knife, and using lining paper ends lift it out of the tin.
11. Leave until quite cold – wrapped in foil this yummy bread keeps for a week. Tastes lovely spread with butter.
Pairs Well With
This recipe comes form an old clipping in my mams cookbooks.