- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb Small "Salad" Macaroni
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 TB prepared Horseradish
- 2 TB Brown Mustard (Or Dijon if you prefer)
- 3 TB Sweet Pickle Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 6 hard boiled eggs, fine diced
- 3/4 cup Red or White Onion, fine dice
- 6 Sweet Pickles, fine dice
- 1 6-8oz can Black Olives, fine dice
- 1/4 cup Green Olives, fine dice
- 3 stalks of Celery, fine dice
- 3 oz Cheddar cheese, fine dice
- 1 can of Salad shrimp, small chop (Optional- But I always do it)
- Boil Pasta according to package directions, drain and let cool.
- Make the salad dressing my mixing Mayonnaise, Horseradish, Brown Mustard, Sweet Pickle Juice, Salt and Pepper in a small bowl until homogenous.
- Begin dicing and tossing all remaining ingredients into another bowl.
- Toss well to thoroughly distribute the all ingredients.
- When Pasta is cooled to room temperature, add the dressing and toss to coat the macaroni.
- When well coated, add the diced ingredients and toss again to incorporate evenly.
- Cover and chill for at least 4 hours.
NotesMy dad didn’t cook much when I was growing up, since he was usually out on a train delivering who knows what to God knows who. But on those special occasions when he did, like the 4th of July, it was more an exercise in architectural balance than cooking. His macaroni salad was an inspired composition of flavor elements. He always chose his macaroni carefully, choosing the smallest he could find, usually “salad” macaroni. This gave him the proper foundation. The remaining building blocks were, each in turn, carefully manipulated with the help of a sharp blade, into perfect little cubes. Thus insuring the load bearing capabilities of the macaroni would not be overwhelmed. Then to secure the whole structure, a special formulation, neither too sweet, nor too sour, nor too spicy or nor too oily. This was then added, in just the right proportion, to the whole to create a deliciously well balanced salad that contains every flavor in every bite, and doesn’t drip vinegary flavored MiracleWhip down the front of your over-alls. A Feng Shui master would be impressed.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory LifeSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More