- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening or butter*
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Early in the day or the day before:
- In a large bowl cream the shortening and the sugar. Add the eggs, extract, and milk. In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl. Mix with mixer until well combined. With hands, shape dough into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Roll** half or 1/3 dough at a time, keep the rest refrigerated. For crisp cookies, roll dough, paper thin. For softer cookies, roll 1/8 " to 1/4" thick. With floured cookie cutter, cut into shapes. Re-roll trimmings and cut.
- Place cookies 1/2 inch apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 minutes or until very light brown. Remove cookies to racks; cool. Makes about 6 dozen cookies.
- *You can also use 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter instead of all butter. Shortening makes cookies sturdy and butter makes them tasty.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More