- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 box white cake mix, (I buy the kind with pudding in the mix)
- 1 3-oz package strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 pkg. frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 box powdered sugar
- Combine cake mix, gelatin, oil, eggs, 3/4 of the package of strawberries and 1/4 cup water in electric mixer bowl; mix until light and creamy. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. Cool in pan. Combine remaining strawberries, butter and powdered sugar in bowl, beat until light and fluffy. Spread over cake.
- Notes: The topping is more like an icing than a frosting. This cake is especially pretty done as 2 round layers, I think. Just know that the icing is a little thin.
NotesBackstory: For as long as I can remember, this was the cake that my grandmother made for any family gathering or holiday. She had an old pie safe standing in her kitchen, and in the right hand drawer, she kept an old yellowed and folded recipe, clipped from the newspaper, and it was this strawberry cake. She passed away 15 years ago, and I now host the family dinners. Everyone always raves about the Strawberry Cake. Thanks Mammaw!! :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Thomas' English Muffin Clone
Black Bean SoupSee More