- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large egg
- 2 teasp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teasp. black pepper
- 1 teasp. chili powder
- 1 teasp. poultry seasoning
- 2 Tbl. finely chopped (or grated) onion
- 2 Tbl. ketchup
- 1/2 to 3/4 envelope Lipton vegetable soup mix
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry breadcumbs
- 1-1/4 lb. ground beef (I prefer 85%/15% mix)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except beef, mixing well. Add the ground beef and mix thoroughly but gently, taking care not to overmix. Mixture should be slightly wet, but cohesive and easily massed.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Pack in meatloaf mixture, and top with your favorite barbecue sauce, or my sauce recipe below.
- Bake uncovered for 60 to 70 minutes, or until browned and cooked to your liking.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- MEATLOAF SAUCE: In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 Tbl. mustard, & 1 Tbl. packed brown sugar. Spread over top of meatloaf before baking. Sauce will brown and caramelize slightly as meatloaf bakes.
- NOTE: I do not add salt to this meatloaf recipe, as there is sufficient sodium in dry soup mix to compensate.
NotesI came up with this recipe just tonight, and I am so thrilled with the results, I had to share it. I'm not a huge meatloaf fan, but this was very tasty, and I'm going to always make it this way from now on!