- Cooking Time: 30-40 minutes
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 c. and 1/2 c. milk (divided)
- 3 squares melted or 3 enveloped unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, sugar, oil, salt, baking soda, chocolate, and 3/4 c. milk with a hand mixer at high speed for 2 minutes
- Stir in baking powder.
- Add remaining milk, eggs, and vanilla and beat another 2 minutes.
- Pour evenly into 2 greased round cake pans and bake 30-40 minutes, depending on oven.
- Begin checking cake at 30 minutes, so as not to overbake. This cake will dry out if overdone by even a few minutes! The top should be springy to touch and a toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.
NotesThis is the cake my mother made for almost all of our birthday parties as kids, and it is also the one people always want to learn how to make. It is really easy, and always moist and delicious.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Lau Family Recipes
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More